Watts Empowerment Center x Red Eye
For our 2018 Community Service Project, ASID UCLA Extension has chosen to assist the Watts Empowerment Center, through the non-profit organization Red Eye. Read more about the project below, what we've been tasked with, and most importantly, how you can help.
Watts Empowerment Center and RedEye
The Watts Empowerment Center is a place for some of the most underprivileged and poor children living in Los Angeles. Most of the kids parents are absent or involved in gang activity, so the center is the only safe space in the neighborhood for the children to go after school and on the weekends. Toward the end of 2017, the city shut down the center because it ran out of money. However, an organization called Red Eye came in and took over the space in order to keep it running so these children can continue to have a safe, productive and inspiring space.
The current state of the center is antiquated, dirty, and in need of a major refresh. That is where we all come in!
where we come in...
Red Eye has asked the ASID UCLA Chapter to remodel the "creativity room / computer lab" at the center. They envision this space to invoke creativity in the children and empower them to feel like they can accomplish anything. And we need all the help we can get!
what we need from yoU
There are several opportunities for both members and non-members, no matter where you are in the program.
- Individuals with CAD or Revit Experience to mock up the new room design. At the moment, this is our most important need.
- Vision/Design: If anyone has a thought or idea for a creative/technology-focused room, we would love your ideas!
- Implementation: let's paint, pick up supplies, and. move furniture.
- Carpenter: we need someone to build one large table or several desks
- Those willing to give financially.
- Volunteering your time: come to the center to play with the kids. We meet every Saturday from 12 to 2pm.